Fresh Ice and Old Art...


Sam had me hunting through my dwindling stocks of art supplies for Scraperboard before breakfast yesterday. I couldn't find any, but did turn up this old painting which I did in 1988 or '89 - so long ago that it feels like someone else's work now, and I quite like it. I also came across some pictures I did of very early versions of Shrike and Hester from about the same time. I'll post those here as soon as I can find a way to fit them in the scanner (I worked big in those days).

To the panto last night, and one of the best Merrymakers' shows I've seen. Jay Jacoby, this year's producer, seems to run a happy ship, and the enthusiasm of the cast shone through. Evie Bowden, the musical director, is simply brilliant, and there were some great comic performances too; I particularly liked Nick Coaker as the Beast (see below), and Vicky Hanson's turn as the Panto Inspector. We emerged from the hall to find that the world had been replaced by a replica of itself made out of glass, and we had to take the long way home through Asburton and Bovey Tracey to avoid the un-gritted lanes. Today we are trapped at home, the drive and lane impassable with ice. It's as festive as anything, with sunlight glimmering on the frosty fields and the tors looking as if they've been dusted with icing sugar. Still, we must hope it thaws soon, or it will mean cornflakes for Christmas Dinner...